Joining Google Summer of Code this year?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 4 06:18:35 EST 2010

Dear all,

this year another Google Summer of Code (GSoC) will be held:
http://socghop.appspot.com/

GnuCash has participated as a "Mentoring Organization" at the GSOC in
2007, see http://code.google.com/soc/2007/gnucash/about.html . This
was an interesting and helpful experience, even though the initially
expected outcome was not quite met. Nevertheless our project
eventually had some profit by the new code and new features (CSV
importer).

I would like to give it a try again. I will volunteer to act as a
mentor for at least one project, and I would use this opportunity to
really keep close contact to the student(s) who work on tasks within
gnucash. This includes, but is not limited to, frequent email
messages, instant messaging, and even regular phone conversations.

For the mentoring organizations, the registration phase is next week
(between March 8 and March 12). We would need to designate an
"organization administrator" -  last time this was Derek. Who would
like to volunteer for this role? Derek again, maybe?

In addition to applying as mentoring organization, everyone here can
add potential project ideas on our wiki page
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SoC2010 , including proposals for who can
serve as a mentor (or backup mentor) for those projects.

Questions? Comments?

Regards,

Christian