Save As MySQL is crashing gnucash

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 08:20:44 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 27 November 2010 10:58, Ian X Waddington <iwaddox at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> No I do not need to use MySQL at all, the xml option works fine.
>>
>> I was thinking that if I get the data into an MySQL database I might be able
>> to access the data more easily (read\only) to look at producing some form of
>> checking account forecasting tool, either with XL or Access.
>>
>> I am really keen to switch from MS-Money UK to GnuCash but I rely heavily on
>> being able to forecast how much will be in (or not be in) my checking
>> account as we run towards payday - so far I've not had any response with any
>> good tips on how to do this so was considering building something myself
>> using tools I've more chance of making progress with, MySQL, XL or Access.
>>
>> Thank you for your help
>>
>> Perhaps I am misguided :-)
>
> I don't think you are misguided, I am generating reports for myself
> from the mysql database with great success.  I use Ubuntu so do not
> have the windoze issues.
>
> Off Topic I know, but you could use this as an excuse to move away
> from Windows.  I moved to Ubuntu a couple of years ago and have never
> regretted the learning curve.  On Ubuntu I feel in control of my PC
> again and it is so much snappier in performance on my non top of the
> range PC.  You can forget about virus scanners too.  Community support
> is great if you have any problems.  The PC can be setup with a dual
> boot so you can either run Windows or Ubuntu so don't have to burn
> bridges.

Very good advice. In addition to Ubuntu, you might consider Mint, a
Linux distribution built on Ubuntu. The advantage of Mint, as I see
it, is a cleaner user interface (I find Ubuntu awfully cluttered out
of the box; it can probably be customized, but I've never bothered).
It uses the same package repositories as Ubuntu and the same,
excellent package-management software. It is also reputed to be very
good in the audio and video departments, but I've never seen problems
with Ubuntu in that regard

If you install either Ubuntu or Mint, early in the installation
process you will deal with partitioning. If you install "side-by-side"
with Windows, the installer will squash your Windows partition for you
to make space for Ubuntu/Mint. It will also install Grub in the master
boot record of your disk, which will give you the option of running
Ubuntu/Mint or Windows.

I do this myself on the machines where I have Windows installed,
though I use a much leaner Linux distribution called Slackware. If you
are new to Linux, I don't recommend Slackware, but if you like things
minimal, with just what you need and no more (I don't even run a
desktop environment, just a tiling window manager called dwm), it is
an excellent, very carefully engineered option that you can consider
in the future, if this sort of thing suits your taste. I mention this
just to illustrate that the Linux world offers a spectrum of choices
not unlike the automotive world. Ubuntu and Mint are not unlike a big,
heavy luxury car with automatic transmission and power everything.
Slackware is more like a light, agile sports car with a manual
transmission.

/Don