Documentation Bug 630652 created to install Guide update for Other Assets

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 18:50:26 EDT 2010

Hi Tom,

On 2010-10-01, at 08:34, Thomas Bullock wrote:

> Hi Yawar,
>

>>> […]
>
> I get what you are saying here, but that does not answer the question about how whitespace is determined and removed.  Is that built in to Trac and automatically done?  Or does the updater have to identify these thru some laborious process?

Ah, sorry, misunderstood or misread your original question. Let me show you what happens with a (very simple) example. Let’s say we have some original text (I’ll use the underscore character, _, to denote Space characters):

  GnuCash_is_a_personal_accounting_application._It_can_also_be_used_for_small_businesses.

Then someone changes it to:

  GnuCash_is_a_personal_accounting_application.__It_can_also_be_used_for_SMEs._

The output of a diff command will be:

 -GnuCash is a personal accounting application. It can also be used for small businesses.
 +GnuCash is a personal accounting application.  It can also be used for SMEs.

The extra spaces are still there, but you can only ‘see’ the first one because it shifts the last few words one space to the right. You can’t see the second space character, at the end of the sentence, because it’s a space character–it’s invisible. (You can select it with the mouse, though.)

However, some diffing tools are very helpful in that they show you end-of-sentence space characters with a coloured background. The one I use comes with Git (the version control software) and highlights extra spaces in bright red, so they’re easy for me to find. Here’s a screenshot: