Gnucash reports using php and mysql

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Dec 29 22:00:01 EST 2011

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:44:31 +0100, Gour wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:10:39 -0500
> Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My motivation was the same as yours -- I could not get what I wanted
>> from the built-in reports and I felt that the cost of trying to learn
>> to work within gnucash (in spite of the fact that I am a *very*
>> experienced Scheme programmer) was higher than the approach I took.
>
> Huh...this does not sound optimistic for potential GC users wanting to
> customize their invoices/reports...
>
> Is there any plan to improve reporting system in 2.6 or we cannot expect
> anything before 3.0?
>
>> I'd suggest
>> having a look at an interesting thread, "Scripting API", on
>> gnucash-devel started by Hendrik Boom in November. It discusses similar
>> issues and the subject of the fairly new python bindings capability
>> comes up, something I have not investigated myself (only because I
>> already have something that serves my purpose, developed before the
>> python bindings capability became available) but is probably worth
>> looking at if you are actively developing reports for yourself.

It's still on my personal TODO list, but family and other matters have
severely diverted me from writing the necessary documentation, and
possibly any code the documentation will suggest to me as necessary.

I still intend to get back to this.  I still thiink that the primary
problem with the report-writing tools is not that they are unusable, but
that no one knows how to use them.

-- hendrik