Gtk 2.2 and Webkit to use Aqbanking 5 on Windows - How can I contribute?

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Thu Feb 10 16:10:19 EST 2011

Where to start...

What we need is webkit/gtk compiled for win32 using the mingw environment.
webkit can be compiled for win32 (obvious since that is the engine used by
Google Chrome).  Webkit/gtk builds on the core webkit project to provide
gobject/glib APIs for webkit as well as other gnu/gnome technologies (soup,
etc.).

I can go through the various problems I have run into in the past.  I haven't
tried building from scratch lately, so don't know which of these are historical
problems and which still exist.

Problem 1: when I have tried to just download a webkit/gtk tarball, there are
win32 conflicts with gtk e.g. cases where #if WIN32 and #if GTK are in the wrong
order.  Most of the webkit/gtk work seems to happen on linux where they don't
run into this.  I haven't tried recently, but this has been a problem in the
past.

Solution: there are some fedora and opensuse source RPMs for mingw32-webkitgtk
or other patch sets which handle these (or most of these?)

Problem 2: When I first started to try to build, I started by stripping
everything out of webkit because I figured that would have the best chance of
working.  However, certain combinations of options seem not to be supported
because the conditional compilation in the code hasn't been tried with all
combinations.

Problem 3: Trying to find dependencies.  I quickly found that when trying to
compile on a win32 platform (e.g. the way gnucash itself is compiled), I found
that some of the dependencies required by webkit/gtk were not available at the
required version level (they seemed to use bleeding-edge versions of libsoup,
for example, beyond those available on ftp.gnome.org).

Now, starting with fedora 14, there is a mingw32-webkitgtk binary package, as
well as mingw32-gtk2 and other dependencies.  Great.  However, there may be
run-time problems since the gcc compiler supports 2 different exception
mechanisms.  The fedora package is built with 1 but the mingw compiler I have
supports the other.  They seem to be incompatible, and I haven't been able to
find a mingw compiler to match the webkitgtk binary package.

Well, maybe we can cross-compile gnucash on fedora14.  Nope.  They don't have a
mingw32-gnome2 package.

I'll keep trying to find a combination that works.  If you can help, great.

 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.