Cheque Printing from Search Results Window

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 13:14:48 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "John P. New" <jnew at hazelden.ca> writes:
>
> >> This is not a bug.  This is a feature.
> >> This is exactly how you are supposed to print multiple checks at once.
> >
> > Yes, I see that the Help Manual does say that this is the way to print
> > multiple cheques. However, I don't think printing every transaction in
> > the Search Results tab is an intuitive consequence.
>
> Okay, so how would you propose that we implement "print multiple checks"
> given the fact that there is no way to choose multiple transactions at
> once?
>
> Seriously, we had to make some choices.  This seemed like the best way
> to select multiple transactions.

This discussion suggests the more general tension between intensely
pointy-clicky user interfaces and command-line interfaces that allow
scripting, composition with pipes, and aggregation with things like globbing
and regular expressions. While the world, thanks to Xerox Parc, copied by
Apple, which was copied by Microsoft, which was copied by Gnome, KDE, etc.,
has gone for the former, the latter is far more powerful when you need a
quick hack, and/or are trying to do things in the aggregate. The Gnucash
project has shown its Unix/Linux heritage in using the method it did,
especially the inclusion of regexp searches, and while Intuit would never
have done this, it's clearly the right idea, in my opinion.

/Don