Cheque Printing from Search Results Window

John P. New jnew at hazelden.ca
Sun Jun 26 14:13:44 EDT 2011

On June 25, 2011 08:57:56 PM Derek Atkins wrote:
> "John P. New" <jnew at hazelden.ca> writes:
>
> >> This is not a bug.  This is a feature.
> >> This is exactly how you are supposed to print multiple checks at once.
> >
> > Yes, I see that the Help Manual does say that this is the way to print
> > multiple cheques. However, I don't think printing every transaction in
> > the Search Results tab is an intuitive consequence.
>
> Okay, so how would you propose that we implement "print multiple checks"
> given the fact that there is no way to choose multiple transactions at
> once?
>
> Seriously, we had to make some choices.  This seemed like the best way
> to select multiple transactions.

I agree that without an overhaul to the way that GnuCash prints cheques, using Find is the best way to select multiple cheques for printing.

But my comment stems from the fact that the behaviour is unexpected, because as Mike said in his post, File>Print Checks from any other register prints the selected transaction; but when in the Search Results tab, with no warning to the user, Print Checks prints the entire register. So could we say this is a feature AND a bug?

If so, at a minimum, I would suggest that when printing cheques from the Search Results tab, a warning dialog should appear, with a message such as, "Printing Checks from the Search Results tab will print ALL the transactions shown, not just the one selected," with a "Do not show this message again" checkbox.

I could still add this as an RFE to bugzilla.

John New