Missing plural forms in translation

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Mon Sep 26 15:11:51 EDT 2011

Am Sonntag, 25. September 2011 schrieb Aurimas Fišeras:
> Hello,
> while translating I found a string [1] that needs to use plural forms in
> Lithuanian translation.
>
> What is the procedure to fix this?
>
> [1]  ../src/gnome/druid-acct-period.c:247

Sending an email to here is the correct procedure. It's not immediately clear
how this string should be changed the best way.

The string in question is this:

    /* Display the results */
    remarks_text =
        _("The earliest transaction date found in this book is %s. "
          "Based on the selection made above, this book will be split "
          "into %d books.  Click on 'Forward' to start closing the "
          "earliest book.");

I guess you mean the "%d" part that should use plural forms. Firstly, I think
the %d number will *always* be larger than one. I.e. the singular form won't
appear. Also, from what I understand in the code, the %d number will most
likely be 2 or 3 or maybe 4. In other words, even though technically this
string should be run through ngettext() with plural forms, I think its current
usage means your language can just use the form for 2 or 3 or 4 values and
ignore the other cases.

Do you think this is a sufficient solution for you right now?

Regards,

Christian