Need help with documentation edits

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Feb 26 05:00:49 EST 2012

Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012, 01:14:22 schrieb Yawar Amin:
> David,
>
> On 2012-02-24, at 19:52, David Carlson wrote:
> > […]
> >
> > in a command window in Windows 7 I succeeded in checking out
> > […]
> >
> > Do I need to install xmllint separately from subversion?  If so, how do
> > I do that?
>
> Sorry, just noticed you’re on Windows. My advice is skip trying to use
> xmllint and just try to get the xsltproc tool set up on your system.
> http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html seems to be the ‘official’ way to
> get the Windows executables and it has an explanation (in the section
> called ‘Getting the Binaries’) from which I understand you’ll need to
> download the following packages: zlib, iconv, libxml, libxslt. IMO you can
> skip reading the rest of the page, because you’re not trying to use these
> packages to develop your own C programs.

That's true: I don't think it is reasonable to try to set up xmllint on
Windows. On the other hand, I even doubt it is possible to set up xsltproc on
Windows with reasonable effort. @David: Maybe it is possible for you, but if
you encounter problems, I'd suggest not to spend too much time on this.
Rather, just send your edited xml files to here and ask the list (including
Yawar) to send you the processed output "because you're on Windows and you
don't have the tools".

Then again, maybe it's also possible for you to set up a virtual machine on
your computer with some Ubuntu linux inside? You would edit your xml files on
Windows as usual, then copy them somewhere so that the linux virtual machine
can access it, then run xsltproc on the linux virtual machine to produce your
output.

Regards,

Christian