Ok, we'll apply as GSoC mentoring organization

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Tue Feb 28 16:23:55 EST 2012

Dear all,

to summarize:

* John said "Man, I'd really like to do it again this summer, and even if we
only have two slots it's better to have continuous participation..."

* Derek said "I think that it's okay to have only two students, provided we
can find good projects."

* Muslim agreed to be a mentor for this year, so we have at least John and
Muslim as mentors.

This sounds very good. In this case I volunteer for the administrator work and
we hand in an application to be part of GSoC this year again. Here's what we
need to do:

- Please join the work on the org application, which I've started a wiki page
for: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GSoC2012/OrgApplication

- In particular, the student application template that we'd like them to use
should include some pop quiz questions so that interested students are forced
to have a look at the gnucash code base. Last year we had some 20 student
applications, which makes their review quite time consuming. We should add
some questions that clarify whether the applicants are really willing to dive
into our source code.

- Someone must volunteer as the backup org administrator (almost no work,
though), which requires signing up at the google-melange.com site and telling
me the link_id of your user account

- Those who volunteer to mentor please sign up at the google-melange.com site
and telling me the link_id of your user account

- If you have a good project proposal, feel free to add them to
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GSoC2012 (especially if you volunteer to be a
mentor for those proposals)

Thanks a lot!

Regards,