GnuCash release schedule

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Nov 6 10:53:54 EST 2012

On Nov 6, 2012, at 4:54 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> Since we are talking future plans in other threads, I'd like to shift focus back to the near future for a while: a new major gnucash release.
>
> I have updated the release schedule on the wiki (http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule#Goal) with the information I have. A number of features are complete, some still need to be started (guile 2.0 is on my list).
>
> I'd like to ask the other developers if they can share what they are working on that is still meant for 2.6 so I can complete the expected feature list and establish an estimated release schedule for the 2.5 series eventually leading to the release of 2.6.
>
> John's work on fixing the 2038 date issue should probably be included still.
>
> I also know that Robert Fewell is still working on a register rewrite. I'm not sure if he thinks this can be ready for 2.6 or not. It would be great, but might be too much work still.
>
> On my TODO list, I have support for guile 2.0, completing the git migration, writing some unit tests for the new features I have added and some small cleanups in those new features.
>
> From what I have now, I would propose to do a first 2.5 testing release December 9, calling it a feature freeze. Features that are mostly done or have a good chance of being finished in time for 2.6, will be included. From there we can work towards a release of 2.6 somewhere in March 2013.
>
> What do you think ?

I think 9 December is too ambitious for 2.5.0.

I'm not going to have the 2038 fixes done by 9 December, largely because I'm going to Japan next monday and staying until the 28th.

Likewise, I think that you should have Guile 2.x working before we release 2.5.0. Not necessarily perfectly, but well enough that testers can start finding bugs.

The other thing I would have liked to get into 2.6 is a first-pass refactor of Account, Transaction, Split, and Lot, but I don't think I can get it done by March.

Regards,
John Ralls