Bounty Program finished - a short review

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Mon Aug 5 16:52:23 EDT 2013

Dear all,

we've been running a Bounty Program [1] over the last two months here in
GnuCash. It is now finished. Thanks for everyone who had a look!

In general, the open tasks have been worked on quite successfully: All
Bugzilla tasks are completed (though two of them turned out to be fixed or
non-reproducible or both). From the Uservoice request list, two new features
have been completed as well, though eight other tasks were left open. [2] In
that sense, the program was mainly successful.

However, the program unfortunately did not attract the attention of any
developer who wasn't already active within gnucash. This was one particular
goal of this project, and in my opinion the bounty amount was significant
enough for this. But as everyone here probably noticed: There were no
questions from any newcomer regarding any of the tasks of the program
whatsoever. This is unfortunately not what I had expected. Did we do too
little announcements? Are there websites or places around where more
interested people would have picked up the news? I don't know. I asked
beforehand to run this as an experiment, and we now have the result: A program
of this kind does not really help in attracting new developers. Well, a
result, too.

In any case thanks everyone! With our new releases the project is also
progressing strongly towards the next stable release. Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,

CHristian

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bounty_Program
[2] https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2013-July/035880.html