Time for 2.5.1

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat May 11 20:07:16 EDT 2013

OK, I've played with this some more and have a few comments.  See below.

--On May 11, 2013 6:04:52 PM +0100 Robert Fewell <14ubobit at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Yes that was correct, I have had a rethink and made some changes
> which are in bug 700125 to allow the update on the sub account view.
> It is dependent on the account selected, if it is a place holder or a
> placeholder some where below it it will be read only. Also, as I am
> requiring default account splits in all registers apart from the
> general ledger, you will only be able to add transactions for the
> account you selected but I see no issue with that.
>
> What did work, was very limited, any thing to do with the transaction
> worked but on the splits it would crash.
>
> At the moment, they are only there when the general ledger profile is
> used which as you have seen is for the General Ledger View and
> certain Sub Account Views. This is the same as existing but it is
> more visible. The General Ledger is the only view that has the
> ability to hide the extra columns which are all read only. What
> columns are visible and the ability to hide them can easily be
> changed bearing in mind that the profile may be shared across
> different registers, this can be seen in
> gnc-tree-view-split-register.c starting at line 671.

I'm not sure I understand this, but I'll let it go for now.  I would
really like for these fields to be optionally visible and editable, but
there are more important issues.

> To resize the columns, you should be able to just double click on the
> vertical border. This relies on the under lying GktTreeView but will
> be influenced by the title length and the sort arrow so you may not
> be able to get them as small as before.

This sort of works, but only considers the contents of the transaction
lines, not the split lines if any transaction is expanded.  That makes
it much less useful.  I also can't get it to work consistently.  It
seems to sometimes ignore the double click.

I tried opening a register for a stock account and entering a new buy
transaction.  Perhaps I just haven't figured out the correct work-flow
yet, but this seems a lot less convenient than the old register.  Here
are some random thoughts related to this.

The arrow keys don't seem to work right.  In the old register you can
use up and down arrow to move among the lines in a transaction.  Now
they seem to move to another split (if the transaction is expanded) but
nothing is editable.  The tab key still works, but only left and right,
of course.

When I enter an amount and price and then tab out of the price column,
it immediately prompts me to recalculate something.  In the old
register this only happens if I tab out of the Debit or Credit column
with inconsistent values.  This means I have to switch to the mouse to
make this dialog go away (or use a number of inconvenient key strokes)
since the default (to recalculate the price I just entered based on the
value I haven't entered yet) doesn't make any sense.

Autofilling accounts in a split seems less convenient.  If you type
part of an account name at a given level and hit colon, it autofiles
the selected account (which is what I want).  However if you type all
of a name at a given level and hit colon, it autofills the next level
(which is not what I want).  It also doesn't seem to be possible to
autofill the lowest level account name without using the mouse or arrow
keys.

For example suppose I have an account abc:def:ghi.  If I type "ab:" it
fills "abc:" and lets me select the next level.  If I type "abc:" it
fills "abc:def:" (assuming def is the first subaccount) and lets me
select the third level.  If I type "abc:def:g" there seems to be an
easy way to get it to autofill "abc:def:ghi".  Typing "abc:def:g:" asks
to create an account called "abc:def:ghi:".  In the old register typing
"abc:def:g" followed by tab autofills "abc:def:ghi".  Now it asks me to
create an account called "abc:def:g".

Sort of related to this, if I type a bogus account name in a split and
then hit the Cancel button to clear out the transaction and start over
it asks me to create the account.  It shouldn't do that if I'm
canceling.

Once I've filled the splits in a transaction, I can't enter it using
the return or enter keys.  Both seem to just open or close the field
the cursor is in.  Tabbing out of the last field seems to enter it, but
this is quite different from before and will likely cause many
incorrect transactions to be entered.  In the old register I don't
think tab ever causes a new transaction to be entered.

That's probably enough for now.  This does seem to be working reliably
and will be fine when some of the rough edges are cleaned off.

       Mike