Content of gnucash-patches/gnucash-changes

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 31 12:20:44 EDT 2013

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> I decided to do a a little poll regarding these two lists, to
> determine how to handle them in the (git-only) future:
>
> 1. Which lists are you subscribed to ?
>   a. gnucash-changes
>   b. gnucash-patches
>   c. both
>   d. none

c (both)

> 2. If you're only subscribed to one, why that one ?
>
> 3. Do you think gnucash needs two lists ? Why yes or why no ?

Yes, because there are people who only want the summaries, and there are
people who want to see the diffs.  I use both for administrative reasons
(to make sure both lists are working, or to notice when something gets
stuck).  If I had to only subscribe to one list I'd prefer the list with
the actual diffs.

I currently use the changes list (with diffs) to actually look through
each changeset.  It's much easier for me to do this via email than via
an online tool.  It also helps me keep track of which changes I've
looked at: is it still in my folder?

> 4. For the future:
>   a. We should keep the two list as they are now:
>      gnucash-changes should have the detailed logs
>      gnucash-patches should have the summaries
>   b. We should keep two lists, but swap the contents:
>      gnucash-patches should have the detailed logs
>      gnucash-changes should have the summaries
>   c. I think we only need one list with detailed logs
>   d. I think we only need one list with summaries
>
> You may motivate your answers :)

I'd prefer a, but I'm fine with b if that's what other people prefer.  I
think there are real reasons to maintain two lists.