2.6 roadmap

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Nov 5 05:25:55 EST 2013

On Monday 04 November 2013 14:06:52 John Ralls wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> 
> > With 2.5.7 out of the door, I would like to look ahead at 2.6.
> > 
> > I have just gone through the open bugs targeting the 2.6 milestone
> > and reduced the set from 21 to 14. Some of the bugs I removed were
> > actually bugs against register2 which is not a feature for 2.6 any
> > more. Some need more info before we can decide (now marked as
> > 
> > Are these bugs the remaining issues for 2.6 or is someone still
> > working on something that should get included ?
> > 
> > In these bugs I don't see anything that would still introduce major
> > translation changes.
> > 
> > There may be one translation issue left though: normally the
> > gsettings schemas are translatable, but they currently aren't
> > properly marked for translation. If I do that, this will include
> > lots of translatable strings. Most of them were already in the
> > gconf schema, so ideally most translations will simply be reused
> > from before. I haven't tested this though.
> > 
> > Question is: can we do a string freeze now, or should we wait for
> > this to get fixed ?
> > 
> > 
> > From earlier conversations, the last plan was to release 2.6 by the
> > end of the year. Is this realistic ?
> We should wait for you to fix the strings.
I've run some tests. If I add the gsettings schemas to the translatable 
strings, well translated languages get between 50 and 70  new fuzzy or 
untranslated strings. It's less for languages for which translations are 
less complete. That's not too bad given that gsettings schemas contain 
well over 300 translatable strings.

I can add these strings today so we can continue with calling the 
string/feature freeze.

I don't know the translation process too well. What is needed for 
translators to be able to start on the translations in 2.5.x ? I seem to 
remember we should provide a tarball with up to date po files or 
something ? I'm even wondering if we shouldn't release a 2.5.8 right 
after the last strings are added and call that the base for translators 

> As long as there aren’t any killer bugs, I think the December 3
> release can be RC1 and plan for 2.6 between Christmas and New Year’s
> Eve.
Looks good to me.

> I’ll do a review of the 2.5 bugs this week and add anything serious to
> the roadmap. I’ve also just found a crash in the SX editor that I’m
> debugging right now.


More information about the gnucash-devel mailing list