Gnucash c++

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 13 11:21:59 EDT 2014

Gour <gour at atmarama.net> writes:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 11:04:00 -0700
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
>> What is the motivation for compiling everything as C++ if it's still
>> really C and you have to wrap everything in extern "C" {} to get it
>> to link, especially in gnome and register directories, which can't be
>> converted to C++?
>
> when I visited #gnucash the other day I heard about the plan to (slowly) move
> to C++.
>
> Although I'm aware that I do not have 'currency' to influence the switch, I'd
> just like to give my 0.02hrk (1$ ~ 5.8hrk) and propose to (just) consider using
> Go language instead.

Ummm.. No.

The benefit of C -> C++ is that except for a few minor issues with
keywords you can *generally* compile C code using the C++ compiler and
it will *just work*.  The same cannot be said for Go or any other
language.

Please read the FAQ entry on "Why don't you (re)write GnuCash in <your
favorite language>" at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ