About me

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Aug 20 19:24:15 EDT 2014

On Aug 20, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Per Johansson <per at johansson.name> wrote:

> On 2014-08-02 19:25, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 2, 2014, at 7:58 AM, Per Johansson <per at johansson.name>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I just joined this list. My first "contribution" was to point out
>>> that the Swedish translation file
>>> http://translationproject.org/PO-files/sv/gnucash-2.6.2.sv.po had
>>> not made it into the build.
>>>
>>> I am mainly interested in the Swedish localisation. Specifically:
>>>
>>> Adding sv_AX and sv_FI locales (I live in the sv_AX area)
>>>
>>> Adding account plans for them (Probably translate the fi_FI account
>>> plans into Swedish)
>>>
>>> Perhaps translate missing Swedish language texts.
>>>

>>> CV: I work as a system developer at Crosskey Banking Solutions with
>>> Java, JSP, Struts, etc. I also program and do bookkeeping in my
>>> free time, and recently released a Firefox extension:
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/sv-SE/firefox/addon/direct-currency-converter/
>>>

>> Welcome.
>>
>> The sv translation is handled by the Translation Project and as you
>> showed it's actively supported, but is only 2/3 complete. Please
>> contact the TP coordinators if you want to help complete that
>> translation. Depending upon how similar are the forms of written
>> Swedish between Sweden and Finland it may well make the most sense to
>> make your sv_AX and sv_FI translations derivative on the main one, in
>> which case it would be best to coordinate them through the TP as
>> well.
>>
>> A Swedish translation of the Finnish account plans should be
>> submitted directly, either with a bug report and patch, Github pull
>> request, or attaching a tgz of the file to a post here.
>>
>> Regards, John Ralls
>>

> Hello again.
>
> The first thing I would like to do is adding sv_AX and sv_FI locales.
> With that I don't mean translation files (sv_SE is good enough) but things like currency formatting.
> When I run Gnucash in sv_AX amounts are formatted like this: "€5,082.82" but if I use sv_SE they are formatted correctly.
> I suppose that Gnucash does not recognise sv_AX so it uses a fallback (en_US) locale.
>
> How can this be done?

Formatting and so on is done by the operating system, not GnuCash. See if those locales are available for your OS/Distro and if they are make sure they're installed. If you're on a Debian derivative, you must configure the locales you want. See locale-gen(8) for details.

If they're not available, and you're using Unix (including Mac OSX), you can make them by creating the appropriate directory in /usr/share/locale and linking the contents from a locale that work the way you like.

Regards,
John Ralls