Swedish locale (was Re: About me)

Per Johansson per at johansson.name
Thu Aug 21 13:09:23 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-21 02:24, John Ralls wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Per Johansson <per at johansson.name>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-08-02 19:25, John Ralls wrote:

Welcome.

>>> The sv translation is handled by the Translation Project and as
>>> you showed it's actively supported, but is only 2/3 complete.
>>> Please contact the TP coordinators if you want to help complete
>>> that translation. Depending upon how similar are the forms of
>>> written Swedish between Sweden and Finland it may well make the
>>> most sense to make your sv_AX and sv_FI translations derivative
>>> on the main one, in which case it would be best to coordinate
>>> them through the TP as well.
>>>
>>> A Swedish translation of the Finnish account plans should be
>>> submitted directly, either with a bug report and patch, Github
>>> pull request, or attaching a tgz of the file to a post here.
>>>
>>> Regards, John Ralls
>>>

>> Hello again.
>>
>> The first thing I would like to do is adding sv_AX and sv_FI
>> locales. With that I don't mean translation files (sv_SE is good
>> enough) but things like currency formatting. When I run Gnucash in
>> sv_AX amounts are formatted like this: "€5,082.82" but if I use
>> sv_SE they are formatted correctly. I suppose that Gnucash does not
>> recognise sv_AX so it uses a fallback (en_US) locale.
>>
>> How can this be done?
>
> Formatting and so on is done by the operating system, not GnuCash.
> See if those locales are available for your OS/Distro and if they are
> make sure they're installed. If you're on a Debian derivative, you
> must configure the locales you want. See locale-gen(8) for details.
>
> If they're not available, and you're using Unix (including Mac OSX),
> you can make them by creating the appropriate directory in
> /usr/share/locale and linking the contents from a locale that work
> the way you like.

Strange. The locales are available in the Language and Region settings
panel. I select language "Swedish" and region "Finland" and get the
preview "4 567,89 €". Same for region "Åland".

In the terminal I get, respectively

defaults read -g AppleLocale
sv_FI

defaults read -g AppleLocale
sv_AX

Yet when I start Gnucash, the currency is formatted like "€4,567.89".

Only if I select region "Sweden", sv_SE, I get currency formatted like
in the preview.

I checked Gnucash on Windows, and there language Swedish and region
Finland is formatted correctly.