Report wrapper to call python scripts?

Dmitry Pavlov zeldigas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 03:22:46 EST 2014

A brief search through list did not bring any results, so I decided to
start a new one.

First of all: no offence but most gnucash reports are poorly implemented.
It's not because they useless or looks not pretty (most of them are useful
and good, calm down :)) . The reason is that a model (i.e. data of the
report) is completely messed up with the view (html tags) in report
generation code + html creation tag by tag is really outdated now, there
are more proper tools like templates for that.

Of course it's a really huge work to rewrite that completely in more
model-view style or rewrite that in different language.

So I have idea: Gnucash already have an infrustructure of invoking scheme
reports, saving settings, etc.
What about implementing some "wrapper" report that can just invoke some
script (for example that use python bindings). In it's settings we can
point to specific script and all guile invocation would just
1. include execution of that script with passing parameters from options
2. grab output that is supposed to be report content (html for now) and
include that as it's own result

In that case we can have one more language to implement reports, because
scheme is not so popular now, and many people find it not so easy to use,
especially when we are talking about reporting :)

I'm not sure that I can implement all that stuff myself, but if someone
find that idea good enough I'll be glad to discuss that and collaborate to
implement that wrapper script.

Dmitry Pavlov