Report wrapper to call python scripts?

Marcus Wellnitz marcus at wellnitzfamily.de
Wed Dec 24 04:20:58 EST 2014

Hello Dimity,

we discussed that at the german mailinglist more than once ;-)

I have made solution wirth python-bindings and latex for my invoices and
the output is much better.
https://github.com/mwellnitz/gnucash-latex/
https://github.com/mwellnitz/gnucash-latex/wiki
Actually I have a problem with the python-bindings (Error) but that's
maybe only at my system.
Texts are in german, sorry :-( so maybe It's not so helpful for you?

Also Chistoph made his solution:

https://github.com/c-holtermann/gnucash/tree/python-kvp

As time is limited it's impossible for us to improve or even merge our
solutions but if the gnucash core-team will support any new solution we
will participate in that project.

I wish you a happy christmas

Marcus

Am 24.12.2014 um 10:22 schrieb Dmitry Pavlov:
> A brief search through list did not bring any results, so I decided to
> start a new one.
>
> First of all: no offence but most gnucash reports are poorly implemented.
> It's not because they useless or looks not pretty (most of them are useful
> and good, calm down :)) . The reason is that a model (i.e. data of the
> report) is completely messed up with the view (html tags) in report
> generation code + html creation tag by tag is really outdated now, there
> are more proper tools like templates for that.
>
> Of course it's a really huge work to rewrite that completely in more
> model-view style or rewrite that in different language.
>
> So I have idea: Gnucash already have an infrustructure of invoking scheme
> reports, saving settings, etc.
> What about implementing some "wrapper" report that can just invoke some
> script (for example that use python bindings). In it's settings we can
> point to specific script and all guile invocation would just
> 1. include execution of that script with passing parameters from options
> 2. grab output that is supposed to be report content (html for now) and
> include that as it's own result
>
> In that case we can have one more language to implement reports, because
> scheme is not so popular now, and many people find it not so easy to use,
> especially when we are talking about reporting :)
>
> I'm not sure that I can implement all that stuff myself, but if someone
> find that idea good enough I'll be glad to discuss that and collaborate to
> implement that wrapper script.

- --
Marcus Wellnitz
GPG Fingerprint: 07D4 C8D7 F5FB CC00 EDF1 0FCB DEED 2417 9BF6 4022