Replacement for libdbi

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sun Jan 12 09:42:35 EST 2014

John,

ODB looks promising. If distro packagers are willing to package it (Debian's Sébastien Villemot
seemed ok with it already provided it can be packaged) that would be the best candidate IMO.

I checked cross-platform availability as well. OS X seems no problem. For Windows it mentions
Mingw gcc 4.7 (Mingw64). I have been working on getting the Windows build compiling and
running on gcc 4.8 and recently got some help with this from Gary Bilkus, so the version will
be ok. I'm slightly worried about the mingw64 part. Our build system is mingw32 so we should
check that is supported as well. If not we will have to evaluate if we can switch to mingw64
instead. Unfortunately the mingw32 team seems rather hostile to anything not mingw32, so I
probably won't get much help from their side.

I haven't checked the other options yet. Given the potential of ODB I'm in favour of evaluating
that one completely first and only look at other options if it turns out ODB can't be used at all
for some reason.

Geert