Replacement for libdbi

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 12 10:28:15 EST 2014

On Jan 12, 2014, at 6:42 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> John,
>
> ODB looks promising. If distro packagers are willing to package it (Debian's Sébastien Villemot seemed ok with it already provided it can be packaged) that would be the best candidate IMO.
>
> I checked cross-platform availability as well. OS X seems no problem. For Windows it mentions Mingw gcc 4.7 (Mingw64). I have been working on getting the Windows build compiling and running on gcc 4.8 and recently got some help with this from Gary Bilkus, so the version will be ok. I'm slightly worried about the mingw64 part. Our build system is mingw32 so we should check that is supported as well. If not we will have to evaluate if we can switch to mingw64 instead. Unfortunately the mingw32 team seems rather hostile to anything not mingw32, so I probably won't get much help from their side.
>
> I haven't checked the other options yet. Given the potential of ODB I'm in favour of evaluating that one completely first and only look at other options if it turns out ODB can't be used at all for some reason.

Geert,

Yes, I was favorably impressed with ODB too. Note that it's already in Fedora, so if Sebastian can get it into Debian, we're covered.

I haven't tested it yet, but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't build in any MinGW environment. The minimum GCC version on their "Platforms and Compilers" page is 4.2, and MinGW11, which we're currently using, is 4.4. I'll do a test build soon to make sure.

Regards,
John Ralls