Using a Networked Drive with Ubuntu for GnuCash Data

Dmitry Pavlov zeldigas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 23:59:52 EDT 2014

The problem is that gnucash does not see gvfs volumes (in file selection
dialog) and it is not trivial at first glance to open file on network
mount,  but you can fix it with symbolic links.
1. In file manager open a network mount you should ensure that in file
manager you can see your gnucash file
2. Then go to your home folder and press ctrl+h it will show you hidden
files
3. Go to folder .gvfs there you will see your network share as a folder
with name "share name on machine" (at least similar to it)
4. Open this folder and go to the directory where your file is located
5. Press ctrl+L and copy the folder address from the address bar
6. Open terminal and enter command
ln -s "$src" ~/gnucash-dir
Where $src is location that you've copied on step 5.
This will create a link in your home folder that will look like a folder in
file manager when your share is attached.
7. In gnucash open file selection dialog and go to your home folder you
should be able to see this new "directory", open it and select your gnucash
file.

This solution works for me quite well, just make sure your share is opened
(visible in file manager as attached) or gnucash will tell you that he
can't find a file.
As an alternative you can try press ctrl+h in gnucash file selection dialog
and directly open your file under .gvfs dir