Geting GnuCash to Recognise Localised tax report for UK

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu May 22 10:03:47 EDT 2014

On 22 May 2014, at 02:08, Clint Redwood <clint at screwtape.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>

> Good point - but what would your localisation setup be in that case? Ideally you'd want en_DE, which I presume doesn't usually exist?

It doesn't, and libc's setlocale() complains and sets the 'C' locale if you try to use it. Fortunately the localization system isn't that dumb; it provides separate categories for different things, so Derek could set LANG=en_US and LC_MONETARY=de_DE, which would give him German money and US English for everything else.

Apple has screwed this up in their latest version of OSX, where if you set the primary language to English and the region to Germany it will set the shell locale to en_DE. I had to put a workaround in the mac localization code to ensure that we have sane settings.

Regards,
John Ralls