R: xmllint error

cri79 at libero.it cri79 at libero.it
Wed Jan 28 03:39:09 EST 2015

HI David,
good to know you are tackling the learning curve on dockbook! Can you provide
the xml file you have modified so that I can check myself what the error means?
I suspect you missed some proper tagging in the section you edited so you are
getting the error. At first it is quite difficult to locate the problem but
then with some experience you get better at finding errors.

Let me briefly explain how xml dockbook works: we have a "main" file called
gnucash-guide.xml that contains all references to many other xml files (one for
any chapter in the guide). That is why you are getting the error for gnucash-
guide.xml although you don't edited it. When you run xmllint, it expands the
xml files creating virtually only one xml file.  The ":473" after "gnucash-
guide.xml" in the error message, means the error is on row 473 of the fully
expanded document (in fact, the plain gnucash-guide.xml don't have so many
lines).

Regards
Cristian

and I have run into an error that I do not understand. The error is:

>gnucash-guide.xml:473: element book: validity error : Element book content
does not follow the DTD, expecting ((title , subtitle? , titleabbrev?)? ,
bookinfo? , (dedication | toc | lot | glossary | bibliography | preface |
chapter | reference | part | article | appendix | index | setindex | colophon)
*), got (bookinfo CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA
CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA CDATA )
></book>
>
>The reason I find this odd is that I have not edited the main xml file at
all. I edited chapter 1, which doesn’t create any errors (i.e, this is the
extent of the output I receive).

>I cloned the docs earlier today using the prescribed "git clone https:
//github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs gnucash-docs”, and received this error from
executing "xmllint --valid --noout gnucash-guide.xml"