Easy opportunity to contribute to gnucash !

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Mar 24 11:36:21 EDT 2015

Hi,

We're getting close to the next stable release (2.6.6). For this release
I have updated some of the items that will appear in the Windows Start
Menu in order to make the easier to find for users of Windows 8. In
particular I have added the word GnuCash to these items to make them
easier to find via the Windows 8 launcher.

GnuCash has translations of these items in several languages. I don't
speak most of these, so I am not able to make the same improvements in
the translated versions of these items.

And this is where you can offer some help. The job is pretty easy:

* Have a look at
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-on-windows/blob/master/inno_setup/gnucash.iss#L395
Starting on line 395 there will be 24 messages in English in the form
<messageid>=<message>

* The <message> part is what needs translation. Many of these messages
have already been translated. These translations can be found later on
the same page, starting from here:
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-on-windows/blob/master/inno_setup/gnucash.iss#L438
(The first translation is the German one)

* So what you can do is head over to the section in your language and
check if all messages found in the English section have a proper
translation in your language. If not, please send improved translations
to the gnucash-devel mailing list (gnucash-devel at gnucash.org). To make
it as easy as possible you can simply copy the block of messages in your
language from the webpage and paste it in a new e-mail. Then update the
messages in the e-mail before sending them. I'll be watching the mailing
list for your contributions !

* Note that to help Windows 8 users the messages with a messageid of
'IconName_<something>' should contain GnuCash anywhere in the message.

* We currently support the following languages during installation (and
in the Windows start menu):
English (en)
German (de)
Greek (el)
French (fr)
Italian (it)
Japanese (ja)
Latvian (lv)
Dutch (nl)
Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR)
Chinese (zh_CN and zh_TW)

* If your language is not in the list and you like to add it, great !
Let me know via the gnucash-devel list which language you want to add
and I'll check what is needed in addition to these 24 messages to get it
included.

That's it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I'm looking forward to your contributions.

Geert