What distro to use for screendumps?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:16:29 EDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#Images_and_sc
> reenshots
>
> says:
>
> It is better if you can use a theme similar to "clearlooks" for linux in
> order to keep consistency with existing images.
>

> After I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, my virtualbox gnome flashback
> clearlooks-thenix theme titlebar is now Ubuntu black.
>
> I could not figure out, or find on the internet, how to change the titlebar
> colour, so I tried to modify the Unity Radiance theme to look like
> Clearlooks as I did find how to do that.
>
> Unfortunately, I've now found that many of the graphics (like checkboxes),
> use .png files that also have Ubuntu orange, and there is not a simple
> mapping between the clearlooks and Ubuntu graphics widgets.
>

> I'm thinking it would be easier to set up a new VM running whatever distro
> is preferred for GnuCash screendumps.
>
> What distro and version and theme should that be?

It might be easier to use a VM -- for all sorts of reasons -- but I see
there's a Clearlooks theme package for Ubuntu:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/clearlooks-phenix-theme

If you find the traditional Gnome desktop more convenient for this purpose,
you might also try installing Ubuntu Mate (or another distro using the Mate
desktop) or even just installing the mate-desktop package in Ubuntu. After
installing other desktops, you can select which desktop you're using by
clicking the small icon next to the password on the Ubuntu login screen.

If you're comfortable configuring a distro in a VM for the purpose of
documentation and testing, I would suggest trying Debian. As an Ubuntu user
you will find it familiar in many ways.