What distro to use for screendumps?

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 5 03:09:12 EDT 2016

> > Message: 4
> > Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 09:16:29 -0500
> > From: Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
> > To: Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au>
> > Cc: GnuCash-Devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org>
> > Subject: Re: What distro to use for screendumps?
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#Image
> > > s_and_screenshots
> > >
> > > says:
> > > It is better if you can use a theme similar to "clearlooks" for
> > > linux in order to keep consistency with existing images.
> > >
> > > After I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, my virtualbox gnome
> > > flashback clearlooks-thenix theme titlebar is now Ubuntu black.
> > >
> > > I could not figure out, or find on the internet, how to change the
> > > titlebar colour, so I tried to modify the Unity Radiance theme to
> > > look like Clearlooks as I did find how to do that.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, I've now found that many of the graphics (like
> > > checkboxes), use .png files that also have Ubuntu orange, and there
> > > is not a simple mapping between the clearlooks and Ubuntu graphics
> widgets.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking it would be easier to set up a new VM running whatever
> > > distro is preferred for GnuCash screendumps.
> > >
> > > What distro and version and theme should that be?
> > >

> > It might be easier to use a VM -- for all sorts of reasons -- but I
> > see there's a Clearlooks theme package for Ubuntu:
> >
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/clearlooks-phenix-theme
> >
> > If you find the traditional Gnome desktop more convenient for this
> > purpose, you might also try installing Ubuntu Mate (or another distro
> > using the Mate
> > desktop) or even just installing the mate-desktop package in Ubuntu.
> > After installing other desktops, you can select which desktop you're
> > using by clicking the small icon next to the password on the Ubuntu login
> screen.
> >
> > If you're comfortable configuring a distro in a VM for the purpose of
> > documentation and testing, I would suggest trying Debian. As an Ubuntu
> > user you will find it familiar in many ways.
> >
> > ------------------------------

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the Debian suggestion - I'm giving it a go.
I was using the xenial clearlooks-phenix-theme package and tried under the
Unity,Gnome Flashback Compiz and Gnome Flashback Metacity desktops,
but the black  titlebar with white text under both flashback dektops, and
the orange graphics under Unity, are just not consistent enough with most
of the screen images already in the documentation.

I've installed Debian 8.5.0 and figured out how to use synaptic, and add the
getdeb Ubuntu wily 15.10 repository (as Gnucash is not available from
GetDeb for Ubuntu xenial 16.04 yet), but now I find I cannot install the
getdeb GnuCash 2.6.12 due to 3 libraries that are too old:
	libaqbanking35 (only 34 is available from stable Debian repo)
	libaqbanking35-plugins (only 34 available)
	libktoblzcheck1v1 (only 1c2a available)

Can anyone please tell me what is the latest available version of GnuCash
available from getdeb which will run in Debian 8.5.0 without having to
recompile some libraries?
I'd prefer not to have to use GnuCash 2.6.4 from the Debian stable repos.

Or can I somehow tell synaptic to ignore library version compatibility?
I'm not intending to use this in anger, just for getting correctly themed
screen dumps for the documentation updates I'm doing.

Regards,
Chris Good