GnuCash Draft Concept Guide, or, Whose WIki Is This, Anyway?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 3 03:50:08 EST 2017

Frank,

Thank you for your reply.

I will start with an overall observation: I think that you and I see the GnuCash documentation realm in fundamentally different ways.

I believe that the wiki and what I will refer to as the official documentation (defined as the Tutorial & Concepts Guide and the Help Manual) should primarily serve complementary roles, with information in the official docs taking precedence. To me, the wiki supplements the official docs. The wiki amplifies the official docs by providing information that is of limited interest to the broader community (such as methods for handling some esoteric accounting issue in GnuCash, or a technical issue on a specific platform). To me, information (such as the wiki glossary) should be removed in favor of material that is entered as part of the official documentation set.

I think that you see the wiki as a primary information source for users, and as such, you think it should contain its own more or less complete set of information about the program and its functions. I may be wrong about this, but I believe you have expressed opinions that seem to support this idea.

This means that information can be put in both the wiki and the official documentation without a problem for you. However, I do have a problem with keeping information in two places: it is a challenge to keep both sets of information up to date and in sync with one another—and it makes for more work for someone to maintain this synchronization. Your words below suggesting that the work is too much for you to manage only supports my point.

As for the specific example of the term “reconciliation’: You say that there is something missing from the documentation realm regarding this topic, and want to add information to the wiki and the glossary. I, however, see that Reconciliation has an entire section (4.4 in the Guide) dedicated to it. It is fully explained there as an aspect of Transactions. This section is also referenced in the chapter on Checkbooks, section 5.4. As you note, adding “reconciliation” to the glossary might be useful; that, however, doesn’t seem to me to be a legitimate reason to retain the Draft Concept Guide in its entirety.

On the issue of the Guide Glossary, I will note that this section is literally version 1, made completely based on the Wiki glossary and my own ideas of terms that could use definition for users. (I’ll note that I had thought that ‘reconciliation’ was a common enough term that it didn’t need an entry in the Glossary. I am happy to have someone suggest otherwise, and will take steps to add it to the Guide Glossary). Since the Guide Glossary was based directly on the Wiki Glossary, I felt that the Wiki Glossary was superceded, and thus I deleted most of the Wiki content and added a note to consult the Guide Glossary. You overrode that decision, and I respected your wish to retain the duplicated information (despite the fact that I disagreed and still disagree with your assessment).

I will note that it was never my intention that this version be considered the final one, and I would hope that others in the community with vested interests and different perspectives might have taken it upon themselves to contribute to the enhancement of the glossary to make it more complete (i.e., with more terms in it) and more useful (as in ensuring that first use of terms in the documentation referred to the glossary where necessary).

There are methods for others to bring such enhancements to the docs—either by learning how to edit and submit documentation changes (as I somewhat have), or by submitting documentation bugs.

As for scanning the Draft Concept Guide for such keywords, if I were to consider taking on such a task, I would go through the current versions of the documentation for such terms, rather than a ten-year old version. As I noted in another thread recently, that doesn’t sound like something I would want to spend my time on, however.

Finally, the GnuCash Wiki (and GnuCash in general) is no doubt a better place as a result of your contributions, and as you know, I have been quite collaborative in making some of your contributions read more idiomatically in English. In a reflection of my priorities, I have focused my energies in the Tutorial & Concept Guide. Given our different philosophies regarding the documentation roles, I think it might be better if *I* were the one to drop out of the Wiki world. I seem mostly to stir up trouble.

David