Translation...

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 18:15:34 EST 2017

Hi all,

Am 11.11.2017 um 07:26 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> Thomas,
>
> I am not an expert on any of this, but I think that referring to a “split” as a “transaction line” ("ligne de transaction”) would be the most appropriate.
>
> GnuCash uses the term “split” in a decidedly specific manner—which the Guide takes pains to explain (cf. 2.2.3 and the Glossary, for example). I believe that the "transaction line” terminology best reflects the underlying concept.

David, can you check the guide so that always the first occurrence of
the glossary entries in the text is linked to the glossary entry?

> David T.
>
>> On Nov 11, 2017, at 4:08 AM, Christopher Lam <christopher.lck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Forwarding to devel who will have more idea about the specifics of
>> translating. I'm not a core developer.
>>
>> The gnucash UI already has French UI -- see
>> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/chang-lang.html about
>> switching language. The french term being used is 'transaction répartie'.
>>
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation will explain how to contribute to
>> translations, especially the tutorial and concepts guide.
>>
>> Your help is very welcome!

Thomas, before you start working on fr.po you should contact
"Last-Translator: Sébastien Villemot <sebastien at debian.org>\n"
to avoid duplicate work and discuss issues of the current french
translation.

Then, before you start working on fr.po or the docs, review and complete
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/po/fr.po to assure a
unique terminology.

>> Creating and using my own translation to feel more secure with these
>> strange accounting rules is possible. But it looks a bit weird.
>>
>> I have an extra problem with the translation of "GnuCash Tutorial and
>> Concepts Guide". I am intending to complete it to part II included (the
>> draft translation is achieved to chapter 7). The vocabulary is very
>> important. I think the concepts are complicated enough to deserve easy to
>> read translation. Unfortunately, some concepts are not common to the
>> languages.

The concept was written from an US english view, which differs in some
points from the continental european view. Feel free to add local
specifics or send patches to improve the english docs.

>> For example, I look in dictionaries, accounting books for a translation of
>> the word "split". It seems that French-speaking accountants did not feel a
>> need for that very word. I'm not sure it is a good idea for some software
>> to introduce a foreign word that would rarely be used elsewhere. The word
>> "split" can be avoided by distributing its meaning, on the one hand "spread
>> transaction" and, on the other hand "transaction line".  This introduces
>> major differences in the text that I don't want to impair.
>>
>> These difficulties, which are the reason I decided to begin translating,
>> have been troubled when starting to perform the exercises to include
>> "translated" screen shots.
>>
>> So the manual translation must rely on 1) the source English text, 2)
>> accounting vocabulary, 3) software translation. For now, this is a very
>> unstable situation.

Ideally we should have a good fr.po before you create the screenshots.

>> As I said at the top of this message, "I would be happy to help". But, I
>> don't want to be a load for GnuCash Project, a troublemaker for current
>> users...
>>
>> I'm interested in your opinion.
>>
>> Regards,
: