running setup-mingw64.ps1

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Apr 4 09:49:06 EDT 2018

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 3:09 AM, pjlbyrne <pjlbyrne at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to run this powershell script to setup the build environment
> for gnucash on windows.
>
> I get this error:
> Get-Item : Cannot find path 'HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTML Help Workshop'
> because it does not exist.
> At C:\users\pbyrne\Downloads\setup-mingw64.ps1:159 char:25
> + $installed_hh = get-item <<<<  -path "hkcu:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTML Help
> Workshop" | foreach-object{$_.GetValue("Inst
> allDir")}
>    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (HKCU:\SOFTWARE\...L Help
> Workshop:String) [Get-Item], ItemNotFoundExcep
>   tion
>    + FullyQualifiedErrorId :
> PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemCommand
> from this script:
> # Install Html Help Workshop
> $html_help_workshop_url =
> "http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/a/9/0a939ef6-e31c-430f-a3df-dfae7960d564/htmlhelp.exe"
> $html_help_workshop_installer = "htmlhelp.exe"
> $installed_hh = get-item -path "hkcu:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTML Help Workshop"
> | foreach-object{$_.GetValue("InstallDir")}

> so the problem appears to be that the registry entries are not found,
> because the HTML Help Workshop is not installed. I suppose I could manually
> install the workshop so the registry entries are available, but that seems
> to defeat the point of the exercise! (to script the installation of the
> program). Can someone please advise on how this might be fixed?

The script should install Html Help Workshop, but in order to do so it needs the user to respond to the authorization window; same for Inno Setup. If you run the script unattended then the auth window times out and the programs don’t get installed.

OTOH if you’re monitoring the script and authorizing the installations then something else is going wrong. There should be some output on the powershelgl window indicating what it is.

Regards,
John Ralls