[GNC-dev] [Gnucash/gnucash-docs] Adding reconciliation to glossary (#110)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 24 12:52:51 EDT 2018

Op vrijdag 24 augustus 2018 18:13:46 CEST schreef David T.:
> Geert,
>
> I went ahead and closed the PR.
>
> First problem: once I closed the PR, I could not locate the changes I made;
> there doesn’t appear to be a way to locate those changes. Did Github delete
> them altogether? Oh, wait. I see the changes in the Closed PR section,
> although I don’t know how I leverage that.

The changes are still in your own fork. I suppose you were still looking in
the Gnucash/gnucash-docs repository instead of sunfish62/gnucash-docs as you
did see the closed PR.

If you go to your own fork under the code tab, here is the dropdown box named
"Branch" with the name of the currently selected branch. If you click on it
you will also find your "Bug-791169---Add-reconciliation-definition". If you
click on that one, your original commit will re-appear.

> In this case, the change was pretty simple, so I just recreated it from
> scratch (I probably would be much crankier if the changes were more
> substantial!). I went to my fork, (re) added my changes, clicked the Commit
> and create PR option. I named the branch bug-791169 and gave the commit the
> name “Bug 791169 - Adding Reconciliation definition to Glossary” [BTW,
> github tells me that making my commit name longer than 50 characters shows
> me to be the amateur I am].

Huh, that makes me an amateur equally, because I don't check the length of the
name either when committing changes directly from the command line :)
Git doesn't complain about that, only github does...

> Now, I have a PR against my own fork. I would rather issue the PR against
> Gnucash/gnucash-docs, but don’t see how to get there.

I suppose this is because you selected the wrong base fork while generating
the pull request. The names are a bit confusing I admit. But the direction of
the arrow between the forks should give a clue:
you want changes from the repository on the right to be included in the
repository on the left (no doubt this interface was made by someone whose
natural language reads from right to left...).

So you can
1. close the PR against your own repo
2. ensure you're in your own repo
3. select the branch with your commit (that should now be "bug-791169")
4. start a PR. This time make sure the left-hand side fork is Gnucash/gnucash-
docs, with branch maint and the right-hand side fork is your repo and branch.

> Kinks in the hose!

We're working on ironing them out.

Geert