[GNC-dev] [Gnucash/gnucash-docs] Adding reconciliation to glossary (#110)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 24 13:40:58 EDT 2018

> On Aug 24, 2018, at 10:18 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the hand-holding…
>
> Round 3. It looks like this one is on the right branch…
>
> Now, as for whether this process is easier than the older way, I am not entirely convinced. The elimination of the extra layer of maintaining the local repository and development platform is likely to make the web-edit process more generally accessible, however.
>
> There still remains the issue of needing to muck around with DocBook XML tagging, but as I have said before, that hasn’t my main barrier to contribution. It would be nice if a writer could do their edits in a word processor of choice and then pump out valid DocBook markup for inclusion in the docs.

That would be nice indeed, but the only such solution that I’m aware of is an old plugin for LibreOffice and it doesn’t work very well; as I said earlier the pandoc pre- and post-processing approach doesn’t round-trip very well either.

We could, I suppose, switch to docx format for the document source and use either pandoc or a custom xslt stylesheet to convert that to DocBook, but I worry that different word processors or even different versions of the same word processor might make a bunch of extraneous changes to the document that are invisible in the word processor display but would make for ugly change sets.

Regards,
John Ralls