Issue when importing QIF file with splits

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 3 12:03:44 EST 2018

Hi,

Edward Bridges <ebridges at eqbridges.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to import a QIF file with splits, but the splits are being
> created in an unexpected way.
>
> Here is an example of the QIF file that I'm trying to import (these
> are being generated to create splits, so I have control over their
> format).
>
> ```
> !Account
> NAssets:Current Assets:Checking Account
> TBank
> ^
> !Type:Bank
> D12/15/2008
> NN/A
> PSample Income (Imported)
> T100.00
> LIncome
> SAssets:Budgeted Cash
> $-50.00
> SBudget:Food
> $50.00
> ^
> ```
>
> This is what I'm hoping to get as a result of the import (screenshot
> is available at the link):
> https://imagebin.ca/v/3ml1P92nUJxa
>
> However when the above QIF file is imported, I'm getting the following:
> https://imagebin.ca/v/3ml2apQ0okqR
>
> The problem I'm seeing is that the $100 is not being debited from the
> Checking Account and credited to Income.
>
> I expected that additional split to be created because the record is
> in the context of the checking account (given the `N` field on line 2)
> and the transaction is categorized as "Income" (via the `L` field on
> line 11).

When doing splits, the "L" portion is ignored, which is why you're not
seeing anything to Income.  You need:

SIncome
$100.00

> Please help me to understand what I'm doing wrong to make this import
> as I expect.

I think if you remove the LIncome and add those two lines then it should
do what you want.  Try it out and let me know?