[GNC-dev] Issues building in ubuntu Bionic Beaver

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Oct 10 03:27:59 EDT 2018

Hi Nate,

Thanks for informing us of the bug in webkit and how to work around it on
Ubuntu Bionic.

And more help in the code is certainly welcome!

The last couple of months the active devs have been busy mostly with cleaning
up and fixing bugs as the result of the switch to gtk3/webkit2 which was
forced upon us. So there wasn't much activity on our C++ porting effort.

We usually suggest to start by getting familiar with the current code base. A
good way of doing so is to browse our bug list in bugzilla (https://
bugs.gnucash.org) and try and fix some of those. Usually from there
contributors find areas they are more interested in and go work on that.

As for the c++ port in particular, this has started in libgnucash/engine. A
few source files have been converted to c++ classes but there is still a lot
to do. As we can't do it all at once our strategy is to keep the c-interface
unchanged, but replace the implementation with c++ classes. Any c++ code can
use the new c++ interfaces directly instead of going through the old c-
interface. In the end when everything has been ported, the old c-interface
will be dropped.

You may also want to read https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development
It has several useful pointers to start contributing.

I would also suggest to communicate a lot with the devs in the beginning,
either here or on irc. That way we can help you avoid certain pitfalls or
prevent double work.

Other than that, just dive in and have fun!

Geert