[GNC-dev] Long Term Documentation Directions

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Sep 10 19:05:58 EDT 2018

Chris,

It maybe worth pursuing if libwebkit can support context sensitive help. It HTML Help on Windows I believe a set of
aliases mapped onto URLs for the appropriate section of HTML help files from the help file is generated by the processor
and then used to pull up the appropriate section of help. It would require the current chapter files to be broken down
into snippets in individual files which can be accessed separately or linked together to constitute the
manual. Docbook has the mechanism for creating links. The downside is perhaps that you would have to recreate a help
viewer using it inside the gnucash code -  a lot more coding than simply passing a URI to the external viewer.

I am surprised that yelp doesn't support context sensitive help. In a quick search yesterday I couldn't find any
reference to it or how to access it. I'll have a look at the yelp repo to see if it's documented there.

David Cousens