[GNC-dev] [GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Thu May 2 07:36:06 EDT 2019

Are you referring to the Multicolumn report with multiple embedded reports?
This one would be very annoying to create CSV export from... each embedded
report exposes its html output only.

The links I attached earlier (replacing transaction.scm and
income-gst-statement.scm) would enable CSV export, exposing the headers and
the grand-totals.

Meanwhile I'm rather more interested in generating a proper solution :-)

For UK VAT I'd think the more complex requirements here would warrant a
customised solution based on the existing VAT account structure, rather
than to try shoehorn hacks on the existing report.

If you can create a sample datafile based on the CoA as suggested by
New-account wizard, I'll see about an appropriate report. Sample datafile
should have, appropriately described in each transaction description:

- standard UK VAT sales/purchases with a split to
VAT-on-sales/VAT-on-purchases
- reduced VAT rate sales/purchases?
- EC VAT sales/purchases with a split to vat-reverse-EC accounts
- VAT-free sales/purchases with a zero-amount split to vat-free sales
  (i.e. asset:bank -100 GBP, expense:bizpurchases +100 GBP,
asset:vat-free-purchases 0 GBP)
- VAT to/from HMRC txns sent during periodic VAT returns
- sample refund txn for any of the above
- sample VAT&annual reports
- sample .csv output

Thereafter I think the customised report would request:
- start/end dates (default to last quarter)
- VAT accounts (asset for vat-on-purchase and liability for vat-on-sales)
- sales accounts (usually INCOME accounts but can also be capital ASSET
accounts)
- purchase accounts (usually EXPENSE accounts but can also be capital
LIABILITY accounts [???])

and will generate a multicolumn vat report similar to
income-gst-statement.scm, *and* will have CSV output.

I've attached a starter sample-vat-accounts.gnucash but not sure how to
book various txns as above.