[GNC-dev] Building debian files within Docker

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sat Sep 14 22:53:03 EDT 2019

On 9/12/19 10:56 AM, Dale Phurrough wrote:
> Good news :-) Next? I recommend the setup and quick start at
> https://github.com/diablodale/gnucash-dev-docker
> If you encounter problems following that, please do loop me in. I want
> to fix it/be more clear while balancing with brevity.
>
> Yes, the build/test containers are themselves many distros of Linux.
> They've been building and testing 3 branches of Gnucash on 14 of the
> major distros for two
> months https://diablodale.github.io/gnucash-dev-docker/
> You can click on any of the badges to see the log of the build and
> test process for that specific distro/branch.
> The docker-compose in the git repo has all the distros you mention
> except for cosmic (18.10).
> Probably trivial to add cosmic. Edit docker-compose.yml, make a copy
> of the 19.04 section that is already in there to make a new section
> for 18.10 while changing the four occurrences in that new section from
> "19.04" to "18.10"
>
> Happy hacking!
> --Dale

Took awhile to get back to this.  In the meantime, the shed now has
trusses up and the roof sheeting.  About 1/3 of the roof shingled.
Sunday's project is to finish the roof!  [12x16 feet].

I made the change to add in 18.10 and must have mangled something.
Attempting to start 18.04 results in:

docker-compose up -d ubuntu-18.04
ERROR: Couldn't connect to Docker daemon at http+docker://localhost - is
it running?

If it's at a non-standard location, specify the URL with the DOCKER_HOST
environment variable.

Which step did I miss?