[GNC-dev] Improve OFX import since aqbanking is not longer very robust?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Feb 7 18:41:53 EST 2020

> On Feb 7, 2020, at 1:28 PM, jeanl <ripngo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Like many of you I haven't been able to setup aqbanking, either on my windows
> machine or on my mac machine. I've tried old revisions of gnucash, but I
> haven't found the sweet spot.
> I read various threads on this forum related to that, and it looks like
> aqbanking support is somewhat on hold (this
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-GnuCash-AqBanking-headaches-tp4714929p4714950.html
> for example).
>
> Given that, would it make sense to improve the OFX import mechanism? It
> works really well but one big limitation is that it won't import OFX files
> that combine several banks, as far as I can tell. I've tried again and again
> but the only thing that works is having one OFX file per bank. This makes
> the online update more tedious than it needs to be (it's possible to
> download OFX data from many banks using ofxclient for example, and they're
> combined into a single file).
>
> So, the question is, how hard would it be to make it possible for gnucash to
> import OFX data from several banks combined into a single file?
> I'm a developer myself, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot myself, but I'm
> asking in case people have some ideas...
> Jean

Jean,

AQBankinbg works with OFX DirectConnect in GnuCash 3.7 on MacOS and should do with GnuCash 3.6 on Windows.

I don't think that there's an easy answer for how much work is involved in getting GnuCash to handle multiple import accounts in a single OFX file. It looks to me that it will work in the matcher code, it should be "just" a matter of getting the OFX code to track multiple online-ids and create the temporary transactions accordingly, but a quick scan of gnc-ofx-import.c didn't find the specific code that would need to be rewritten.

Regards,
John Ralls