annual financial statement: concept?

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 08:50:32 -0600

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 12:46:04AM +0200, Oliver Wahlen wrote:
> My first problem is that gnc-prices manipulates the assets side but does
> not change the liabilities or income/expenses.

This is a real problem with gnucash right now.  Stocks are valued at
"current market value", but there is no corresponding "Unrealized
Gain/Loss" in the Equity part of the equation to balance the inflated
asset value.  We are working on fixing this, but it's a little tricky
to get right.

> What shall I do with my gnucash data I collected in a year when I am
> done with the annual financial statement (at the end of that year)?

This is another problem we are working on ("closing books").  It's
also pretty tricky, which is why it's not done yet.  We are discussing
it sporadically on the gnucash-devel list, but the right answer hasn't
popped up to hit us on the head yet.  Don't create a new file; for the
time being, just keep everything together and when book closing works
you can have a compatible set of books.

b.g.