Single Entry

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:51:55 -0500

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 08:36:23AM -0700, Lang Hurst wrote:
> Hmmm....  I think that you are right.  When I first tried to import from QIF
> (Several versions of GnuCash ago), I had a problem where the importer would
> set up different accounts for each category, which isn't what I wanted.

Right.  GnuCash doesn't HAVE categories, so if you want to preserve
that information you need to have a separate Income or Expense account
for each Quicken Category.  If you don't want to see the categories,
you can set the account tree not to show them, but that's the only way
the QIF importer works.

> But that was months ago and I have entered all my new transactions
> the same way, and I just upgraded gnucash and decided to try again.

The QIF importer remembers what you did the last time and sets that to
be the default behavior for the next time.  If you want it to forget
about what it did before and go back to its defaults (I'd recommend
that), you need to remove the file ~/.gnucash/qif-accounts-map and try
again.

> I guess that either way I will have to change my file.  No way to have
> Gnucash work single entry?  I don't have a lot of money, I just need to do
> my best not to get overdrawn.

Forget you ever heard the word "double entry" :) The only practical
difference between Quicken and GnuCash is that what Quicken calls an
Expense Category, GnuCash calls an Expense Account, and you have to
have one for every transaction.  No big deal, just a difference in
terminology :)

Good luck,
b.g.