[linas@linas.org: Re: Can I do a split with different dates?]

Linas Vepstas linas@backlot.linas.org
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:03:45 -0500

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

Resending

----- Forwarded message from Linas Vepstas <linas@linas.org>, linas@linas.o=
rg -----

Subject: Re: Can I do a split with different dates?
To: Tim Nowaczyk <zimage@upl.cs.wisc.edu>
From: Linas Vepstas <linas@linas.org>
CC: gnucash-user@lists.gnumatic.com
From: linas@linas.org

It's been rumoured that Tim Nowaczyk said:
>   Here's an example.  I buy a chair for a friend, and three days later he=
 pays me back.  What I've been doing is ...
>   1/12/01  Credit    -$100
>            Expense   +$100
>   1/15/01  Cash      +$100
>            Expense   -$100

you provide a classic example of an 'account receivable' (A/R, what you cal=
led 'expense').

>   Then I have this silly account laying around (called Expense in this ex=
ample) that simply serves as a kind of piggy bank for stuff that will be pa=
id back to me.  Is there a way to make a split that will have different dat=
es, so I can simply do...
>   1/12/01 Credit -$100
>   1/15/01 Cash   +$100

Technically, this is not how we would want to *store* that info (because of=
 the 'limbo-land'
aspect to it.  However,  it could be a very nice way of displaying/reportin=
g the data.

i.e. there would be a new kind of 'transaction report' that would pair up t=
ransactions
in this way, showing things 'as if' the A/R didn't exist, and 'as if' a tra=
nsaction
was spread over a bunch of days.

To implement this, I *think* its mostly a matter of introducing a new accou=
nt type A/R
and then writing reports that tried to match up transactions in this way.

(other A/R reports include 'how much does so-and-so still owe me' and 'how =
old is that debt',
and so on.)

--linas

----- End forwarded message -----