downgrading data files

Matthew Vanecek linux4us@earthlink.net
16 Aug 2001 22:09:00 -0500

On 16 Aug 2001 18:46:09 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > So is there a utility that will safely convert datafiles back to a
> > > lower level, from that of gnucash 1.6 to gnucash 1.4?
> >
> > There is no such utility.
>
> Dave,
>
> As I suspected, but I probably should have asked a more leading
> question. My gnome database will only be usable with gnucash 1.6, and
> if I understand correctly, gnucash 1.6 presumes Gnome 1.4 unless one
> ventures to enter a jungle of infinitely regressive dependencies.
>
> So, in effect, the obvious thing for me to do, despite my disastrous
> experience of upgrading to GNOME 1.4 while under RedHat 7.0 and then
> to RedHat 71., is to upgrade to GNOME 1.4 now that I'm running RedHat
> 7.1. If I manage that, I can install and run gnucash 1.6 without
> problem. Can anyone assure me that it is possible to upgrade to Gnome
> 1.4 under Red Hat 7.1 without disastor?

I prefer using Ximian's Red Carpet to maintain/upgrade.  It took me from
Gnome 1.2 to 1.4 quite effortlessly.  While I may not approve of all of
Ximian's design decisions and philosophy, their Red Carpet utility
nonetheless provides an excellent way to maintain your distribution.
I've gone way, way past the point of tweaking my system, and would
rather use the software than constantly recompile, test, recompile,
reinstall, etc, it. Red Carpet (and possibly RH's update tool, and even
Debian's apt-stuff) provides a good way.  One thing that impresses me
about it is that it supports both deb- and rpm-based distributions.

Jeez, I should get paid for this...but I still like the application.
--
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print