gnucash-user digest, Vol 1 #247 - 3 msgs

Stanley A. Klein sklein@cpcug.org
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 09:25:16

At 06:51 AM 2/25/2001 -0600, <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> wrote:

>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:51:49 -0500
>From: <brownh@hartford-hwp.com>
>To: linas@linas.org
>Cc: gnucash-user@lists.gnumatic.com
>Subject: Re: gnucash-user digest, Vol 1 #245 - 8 msgs
>
>> > Now, when I click that installed icon when in one virtual desktop, I'm
>> > kicked over to another (#1) virtual desktop where gnucash proceeds to
>> > open. I'm running enlightenment under GNOME with RH 7.0, and have the
>> > Jan 29 build of gnucash.
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me the logic behind this?
>>
>> Best of my knowledge, gnucash doesn't fiddle with any of this.
>> So to me, this sounds like a gnome or an enlightment bug.
>> Unless we've somehow invoked some gnome utility routine that
>> takes some unexpected default.  I'm not sure how to track this down...
>
>Sorry if this note duplicates one already sent to the list. But here's
>the answer. The upgrade to Red Hat 7.0 includes a feature that newly
>created windows can remember the virtual desktop in which to
>start. The solution is to move the gnucash window to the desktop you
>prefer and then go through the Remember... routine to remember that
>virtual desktop. From that point the gnucash window opens in the desktop you
>prefer.
>
>Haines Brown

I'm running sawfish under Redhat 7.0 and I had a similar problem related to
the placement of the Gnome panel.  (It kept being placed in the middle of
the screen and I had to move it to the edge.)  I also had a problem with
another application.  No problem with placement of gnucash.

There is a file called something like window-history under one of the
.directories in my home directory that has the coordinates at which various
applications will be placed on the desktop when they are opened.  I fixed
my problem by editing the window-history file to delete the statements
related to the panel and to the other application.  Things were placed
properly after that.  However, I've had to edit window-history more than
once, because there seems to be a bug somewhere in Gnome or something that
occasionally causes things to go haywire again.

Stan Klein