gnucash-user digest, Vol 1 #440 - 3 msgs

Eric Schwartz emschwar@rmi.net
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 13:07:56 -0600

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:01:03PM -0500, Bill Gribble wrote:
> Tracking the information about when a charge actually clears the bank
> is not something that a simple home user wants to do, so there's
> really no need for a simplified interface as far as I can tell.

I think there are at least a few situations right now where they might
care, and will probably be more in the future.  For instance, my bank
gives me 'free' online bill payments, but they deduct the money from
my account four business days before it's due (I presume they live off
the float).  So the date recorded in my checking account register can
be off by up to a week (if the payment's due on Thursday, they'll
deduct it from my account the previous Friday).

This caused me a problem just this week, as my mortgage payment should
have been paid on the second, but wasn't until yesterday (giving me a
mild day of panic, wondering when it was going to clear).  As more
people move to internet-based banking, I have a feeling this sort of
situation will become more and more common.

-=Eric