Multi-user gnucash

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:59:53 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca said:

> It isn't an exhaustive survey, but I telnet'ed to
> localhost and ran gnucash a few times.  The graphical
> environment is Sawfish as the default window manager,
> with KDE loaded on top.  Hitting the X in the top right
> window kills GnuCash as expected, and no LCK file is
> left behind.  I started GnuCash a number of times,
> and sent HUP, INT, QUIT, ILL, TRAP and USR1 signals
> to the process.  All signals resulted in GnuCash
> exiting, and in ALL cases a LCK file was left behind.

Not surprising. gnucash currently doesn't trap any signals.

what I want you to do is to run it the way that you normally
run it when it has the LCK problem; with one twist: run it under
'gdb' the gnu debugger.  Soo.

gdb /usr/bin/gnucash

that is, start gdb up, and at the prompt, 'r' to run.   Then
do whatever you do to make it leave the LCK file. My guess is its some
signal, and gdb should report which one.  Which one was it?

--linas

> Do you want me to test all the other signals available?

No. I'm only interested in finding out which signal its being sent.

> What about other window managers?  I must have 7 or 8
> on this Debian/unstable system I have at home.

No, don't bother.

--linas