[Matthew T. Jachimstal <matthew@uniqsys.com>] Re: Closing out a year?

Matthew T. Jachimstal matthew@uniqsys.com
10 May 2001 15:00:54 -0400

On 10 May 2001 13:50:54 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 02:32:29PM -0400, Paul Lussier was heard to remark:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there an easy way to close the books on a given year?  I figured
> > it should be pretty straightforward to just have a different file for
> > each year, however, what if I want to do comparison reports between
> > years?
> >
> > Say I want to know how much money I spent on auto repairs last
> > March-June as compared with this March-June.  Can I do this if the
> > data is in 2 different files?
>
> This is one reason why the implementation of books is stalled.
> There is a proposal describing exactly what needs to be implemented, but
> no one has done this yet.  Shouldn't be hard, its just that there's a
> lot.
>
> --linas

This same topic came up in the past couple of days while I was given
demos of GnuCash 1.4.11 and 1.5.6. (Which where very well received. I
think there'll be a few people dropping MS Money.)

I mentioned that this past January, I went to each expense and income
account and adjusted the balance to 0.00 as of 1 Jan. There was a
suggestion of keeping a list of accounts or flagging which ones should
be zeroed like this.

Matthew

--
       Matthew T. Jachimstal        | Phone:  (419) 861-3331   .~.
         Software Engineer          | FAX:  (419) 861-3340     /V\