gnucash reconcile annoyance

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:32:22 -0600

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:15:49PM -0500, Christopher Fonnesbeck was heard to remark:
> Lars,
>
> See, that really sucks. Its way too much work.

All you have to do is to specify a 'transfer-from' account and you will
not get the reconcile popup.    For example, when you enter a paycheck
into your bank, all you need to is select 'income' from the pulldown.
You can do it with the mouse or the keyboard, using tab and arrow keys.
Typing the first few letters of the account name will also do the trick.
You won't get the reconcile popup if you do this simple thing.

> When I import a qif file,

Well, qif is fundamentally broken. Thank intuit for that.
we've worked hard to hack around qif's brokeness.

> which makes the program unwieldy.  The program after which Gnucash was
> modeled, Quicken, was named so for a reason ;)

Gnucash was *not* modeled after quicken.  I created gnucash precisely
because I though quicken was fundamentally broken and inoperational.
I just got sick of having it miscalculate and mis-balance stuff on the
slightest provocation.  Nothing ever balanced.  Dohh. Gee ... I wonder

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>