usability questions

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
04 Oct 2001 00:56:39 -0700

--=-76OE4HJjxGCaC2/iGXEf

On Wed, 2001-10-03 at 08:59, John Thompson wrote:
> Now that I have gnucash working properly again (thank you, Linas, you are
> a gentleman and a scholar!) I have a couple of minor usability questions:
> first, is it possible to tell gnucash to open a specific account when
> started? I'm really only using it for my checkbook at the moment and woul=
> like to avoid having to wade through "Assets...Current Assets...Checking
> Account" every time I open the program.

There is currently no way to do that with the gui. If you wanted to
hack a little scheme it should be possible to do that, though.

> Second, I'm a keyboard kind of  person, at least when it comes to enterin=
> data into gnucash, and find it awkward to have to use the mouse to change
> entry dates, select expense categories, etc.  I'm thinking something on t=
he
> order of this: with the cursor in the date field, using the right and lef=
> arrow keys to change the day, up and down arrow keys to change the month
> so I don't have to use the rodent for this.  The same idea for the expens=
> category: tab over to the field, then use the arrow keys to scroll throug=
> the available categories.  Is this possible?

The date field has lots of hot key shortcuts -- check the manual.
By 'expense category' I assume you mean transfer account. That is
quick-filled and you can use the ':' to quickly complete to the
next account. You can also do 'Alt-down' to popup the account
list and scroll through it with the arrow keys.

dave

--=-76OE4HJjxGCaC2/iGXEf

--=-76OE4HJjxGCaC2/iGXEf--