Closing out a year

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:19:02 -0400

Hi all,

How can I close out a year.  I've been going through and converting
all my stuff to GnuCash.  I've recently finished with 2000 and have
begun on 2001.  I started this year off in a new file.  However, one
thing I realized is that my monthly bank statements don't cover nice
neat periods like a calenday month.  My statements are from the 23rd
of each month to the 22nd of the next month.

Though I find this quite annoying, I don't see that there's much I
can do about it.  So now I find that though I've finished with the
year 2000 as far as dated bank statements are concerned, I still have
transactions listed in in year 2000 which showed up on Jan 2001's
statement.

How do I handle this?  Do I just assume that my "fiscal" year runs
from Dec. 23 - Dec 22?  If so, this will make dealing with tax
reporting a major pain, since I have several transactions in that
last week which affect my tax reporting (last paycheck, charitable
contributions, IRA contributions, etc.).

Can GnuCash load 2 files simultaneously and allow you to run reports
on a date range which overlaps the 2 files?  That would make life
easier.

Also, it might be nice to be able to maintain a separate file which
is the totality of all data.  In otherwords, I'd like to be able to
import other GnuCash data files into a single file at the end of the
year.  This would allow me to easily run date range comparison
reports on date ranges spanning several years.

Thanks,

--

Seeya,
Paul

			  God Bless America!

	...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
		and we never stop trying to be better.
		       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon